What is it?
The Skills Canada National Competition (SCNC) is the only national, multi-trade and technology competition for students and apprentices in the country. During SCNC Canada’s best in skilled trades and technologies compete to become the national champion in their respective discipline. Every spring, SCNC is hosted in a different city across Canada.
2020: Vancouver, BC
2019: Halifax, NS
2018: Edmonton, AB
2017: Moncton, NB
2016: Saskatoon, SK
Why is it important?
• Provide competitors and student visitors with hands-on experience
• Get Canada’s youth to consider skilled trade and technology careers as a viable, rewarding option
• Engage with industry leaders, educators and political decision makers
• Ensure that Canada remains at the forefront of competitive advantage in the global economy
• Promote the nine Essential Skills through Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities hosted by educators and industry experts
• Highlight innovation and the importance of digital literacy and technology driven skills that are crucial in keeping pace with the ever-changing job market
• Encourage under-represented groups, including women and indigenous peoples, to get involved in skilled trade and technology careers
The SCNC is an opportunity for Nunavut student and apprentices to shine on the National stage while meeting professionals, industry leaders, and peers from across Canada. Being part of Team Nunavut is a huge accomplishment and the experience will last a lifetime and lead to future rewards in the trades and technology sectors.